Wednesday 29 November 2017

Learn Basics Of Adobe Photo Shop

hey what' s up guys Christian here for Chris Clark today we' re learningPhotoshop all right super excited to get into this I haven' t done a tutorial justa straightforward tutorial in a while so I' m really excited for this a lot of youguys have been asking me for photoshop stuff so here it is so this is kind oflike an introductory video whether you are just starting off with Photoshop orif you already have some experience in it there' s definitely a few tips in herethat you might find useful so let' s jump right in and let' s get startedalright guys so here we are in Photoshop and if you launch your application thisis what you' ll see not these specific things because theseare my projects and things that I' ve been editing on Photoshop so you willeventually have your most recent work once you have a few projects going butthis is pretty much where you find your your most recent so other than that youcan open them directly through here so you can browse through your finder or ifyou' re using Windows folders I guess and then you can create a new one so that' swhat we' re gonna do because we' re just starting off and by the way guys if thislooks different from what you have it' s probably because you have a differentversion this is Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 everything else should be the sameespecially for the basics we' re not going to get into any of the additionalfeatures with that it so it should be fairly similar for everyone across theboard so let' s get started let' s create a new project and here we' re going tojust kind of select what kind of document we want to create so we have afew presets here and I can just go for the regular you know 1920 by 1080 butyou can also put whatever value in here just whatever suits what kind of projectyou' re doing we' re just starting off so anything will do and also this is youryou know measurement so pixels is usually what most screens and videofiles and everything are measured in but if you' re into photography and you needthese other options these are here for you as well this is where you can nameyour project you can name it whatever you want you also have some presetdetail that you can load up and save and once you' re happy with all this you canjust hit create and it' ll create a new blank document for you now I have theseguides turned on but you can turn them on and off here where is it clear guidesokay so if this is your first time opening Photoshop and looking at thisinterface or if you' ve never really touched it before it can seem a littlebit intimidating but it' s really really simple and there' s just a few basicmechanisms here that once you learn those you' ll be set for everything elseand everything else kind of build upon that so it' s a lot easier than you thinkdon' t let this kind of discourage you so let' s actually start by breaking down alittle bit of what we have in front of us so we have our toolbar here this iswhere you' re going to pretty much selecting grab your tools and use themfor whatever you do in here this is obviously where you can posit yourpictures together where you do whatever Photoshop work you want to do we' ll getinto a few different things and there' s other tutorials on this channel as wellif you want to get into more advanced photography Photoshop stuff or otherpost and filmmaking latest things so most of the tools that you' re using inphoto we' re all going to be here and we' regoing to go through all of these individually in just a second and thenover here we have a few options for whatever tool you have selected so thatis usually what this top bar is for as well as a few other options that pop upwhenever we are moving things around and once we get into that sort of stuffyou' ll see some awesome new options come up here and then here you have your youknow your usual file edit I don' t need to go over these you can kind of seewhat they do there' s a few things that we' ll go over later on such as you knowthrowing in these adjustments you have a lot of adjustments here that you can doand some filters so there' s a few filters that you can apply to things andwe' re going to get into all this in just a second and I know I' ve said thatalready three times so but we' re almost done so over here we have just colorsright now this might be different from yours and also all of this could be verydifferent from what you' re seeing depending on what kind of workspace youhave so to change your workspace you can go under window and under workspace youcan select whichever workspace you want now most of you if you' re just startingoff with Photoshop you' re going to have the default essentials which is what Ihave selected so you should be fine but just in case you' re seeing anythingdifferent then you can just go under window workspace and select essentialsso that' s what we' re gonna be using today so over here you' re going to havesome information depending on what you' re doing and then you have someadjustments that are pretty much these quick buttons they' re almost likeshortcuts of different adjustments that you can throw in this section over hereand this section is where you have all your layers so everything that you aredoing adding and creating and adjusting in Photoshop will show up here so thisis in a way kind of like your timeline if you' re used to editing or it could bedifferent layers like what you have in After Effects so this is all verysimilar to that and I love by the way how compatible these programs are so ifyou' re into the effects and you' re jumping into Photoshop for that kind ofwork or anything else where you need to go in and out of Premiere Pro or AfterEffects I really love how compatible the whole suite is so definitely a big plusfor using Adobe products ok so we have a general understanding of whereeverything is and it' s going to get a lot easier once we get into things andonce we start using tools then you really start seeing how this workspacecomes into play and obviously in the middle here you have your canvas I canjust zoom in and now I' m using my trackpad I' m just pinching my fingers innow this should be the same on most laptops if not you can scroll your wheelor you can select the the zoom magnifying tool over here and you canzoom in and out let' s let' s jump right into all these tools and by the way thisis our work area essentially this is our canvas this is where we are going to seeeverything that we' re going to be doing and if you' re not happy with the sizeyou can always go under image I' m going to say edit but it' s image canvas sizeand in here you can select pixels since that' s what we' re what we' re using asunit of measurement you can see that this is the the numbers that we put inearlier but we can change these at any time and we can change the size of ourcanvas another way to do it is by cropping it in so you can use the croptool here and I know and we' re going to we' re not going to go in order here butit' s okay we we live on the edge and here you can freely move this around andchange the size of your of your canvas and you can crop in and out or you caneven select a certain ratio maybe you want to do a one by one square picturefor Instagram well then you have this kind of preset we can crop in whereveryou want and then you know you can just clear this out and and you can move thisfreely around again so if you want to play these changes to this crop you canselect this checkbox icon over here and that will apply this cloth or if not youcan just kind of have this undo button here and if I click that it' ll bring meback to what I had so you can see how this side of Photoshop is going tochange a lot depending on what tool you' re using so right before we can divedeeper into this toolbar we should probably import something so that we canplay around and you can really see the full effect that these guys over here sothere' s a few ways of importing things into Photoshop so my way of doing itjust because it' s quick and easy is just going under finder opening up whateverfolder you' re looking for and then just dragging and dropping whatever elementyou want to import so we' ve imported this lamp and this is just a previouspicture that I cut out in Photoshop and that I already saved and is before thewebsite I just launched I just made a few web elements in Photoshop like thisone and if you guys want to check it out by the way it' s Chris Cort calm just aquick little website plug there but there' s a lot of free tools on there somaybe you guys will find something useful so now we have this thing movingaround in our canvas here and you can see the same two options are appear whenyou import things you can actually move them around scale them and make changesto them so right now I can scale it down and I can you know warp itaround like this as I hit command Z that will undo that and now if I hit shiftand scale it down now it' s going to scale it down proportionately so we' vescaled this down and you can see that as I move this there' s these kind of lockguides and you can able them or disable them but personally I find them reallyuseful because I know when my item is centered and that' s that' s pretty nicethen once I' m up here you can see that my cursor is changing to these curvedarrows and that is because I can rotate this image once I' m outside of the boxso inside I move around outside I I can just freely rotate it and if weright-click on this element we have a few additional options so we can scaleand rotate like we' ve been doing we can also skew it and use a reallycool because now if you go on the line you can skew it like thisa command Z to bring it back and then I can skew it on this side so all of thesesides are skewing I guess now you would say then you have perspective and if youdrag the points in you can see that it' s almost like yeah like laying it flat andthen depending on which direction you go in you can modify it that way so I' mgoing to do that as well and then you have a few other options you can distortit you can warp it and these are fun to play with you know you can even havethis sort of grid so you can really distort the image and these are reallyfun and they' re really great and useful when you' re placing things or one ofyour compositing things so this is definitely good to know all right solet' s say we are happy with our changes we can always undo them but if we' rehappy with them we can hit this and now we' ve applied the changes to our imageso now you can see here on my layer panel that we have a new layer so thislayer is the lamp so we have the lamp layer and we have the background layernow I want you to notice something when I turn off this background layer we havethis checkered pattern and what this checkered pattern is in Photoshop and inmost other software is a way of telling you that this is transparent so we havea fully transparent background so if we were to render this with transparency somaybe as a PNG image we would only see the lamp and nothing else because wehave turned off our background and we can' t do much else with this becauseit' s locked right now so this is just by default backgrounds in Photoshop whenyou' re starting off are going to be locked as a layer butyou can always unlock them so doesn' t kind of useless but then you can justselect them or delete them we don' t really care we don' t really need abackground we do what we want so now we do have something here in our workspacelet' s just keep experimenting with these so the very first one is our move toolor a selection tool on the shortcut for that is V so you can switch to that andjust really move things around just by selecting them and once you have a lotof stuff you might need to select them from your your layer panel here and thenthat' s how you' ll be able to kind of move things around when things getreally cluttered and you have a lot of layers overlapping each other but fornow we' re keeping it simple with our lamp here all right so next up we havethis this thing it' s a rectangular what is it' s called rectangular marquee tooland the shortcut for that is and I really actually don' t know the names forthese I just use what I need but essentially what this does is you knowyou can select this and this has made a selection and now you can' t move what' sin it you can only move the selection you might think that that' s useless buthit command J on your keyboard and if you do that boom look what happensnothing nothing seems to have happened but actually we created a new layer andnow if I turn off this bottom layer which is our lamp we' re only going tosee our newly created layer and what this is is just a section that we copiedfrom our lamp image here so when we made that selection we pretty much told it Iwant to make a copy of just what' s in here so that' s what this selection toolis and you can do a lot of other things with it one thing that we' ll get intowith selection that' s really useful is layer masks and in a way it' s almostlike like an alpha mat that you would have in After Effects or any things likethat I don' t know if fun if these references are helping you or if youdon' t use After Effects and I' m not making any sense but we' re get into thatwe' ll jump in in that in just a second but let' s move along to the next toolfor now and this is the lasso tool and one thing that I want to point out iswe' re going down this list for the rest of these is that you can actually clickand stay clicked on them or yeah hold your click and and then from there it' llopen up like a submenu here and you can swap this tool for something else likethis this our artboard tool which I' ve never used but you can do that for allof these so you can see how you have an people Alec elliptic ellipticalselection tool here and a few other options for that and they' re all kind ofin the same category so you have your lasso tool which is what we' re going tolook at now but you also have a polygonal lasso tool and a magneticlasso tool so we' re going to see the difference in these right now let' s justzoom into our image here and this is still going to make a selection so theway I do it is I' m going to click and drag and you can see that I can freelyjust draw whatever selection I want and once I let go we' ve made that selectionso everything that we saw with this rectangular guy here applies to thistype of selection so we can make a copy of just this of whatever is in this areaor we can do a few other things now one of these other things that we can do isonce we get into brushes which I guess we might as well get into that nowbecause I' ve been postponing way too many things so if we were to select thebrush we can click on the brush right here and don' t worry I haven' t forgotabout these we' ll get back to them we can select the brush here or you can hitB on your keyboard and that will bring up the brush although right now we' reseeing this icon and it' s telling us that we can' t do anything but that' s nothow this works we tell Photoshop what we want to do so what we' re going to do iswe' re going to click on this and it' s going to say again Oh blah blah blahwhatever this says and you' re just going to click OK because you don' t need toworry about that for now just know that if you want something youget it done okay so I' m going to turn this this guy off for now so we have theselection made on our lamp layer and we have our brush tool selected so if Idraw here nothing' s going to happen and that is because when you have aselection made and when you have a brush you can only draw in within thatselection now I can invert that selection so if I hit command Z realquick I can hit shift command I and that' s shift control I if you' re on aWindows and that will invert your selection so now if I can draw out hereI can do it but it' s excluding the other selection so I can just go over it andit' s not going to affect this area so that' s really cool for a lot ofdifferent reasons you can do a lot of different tricks with just that butanother thing that we can do with selections in general is something Ialready mentioned which is adding a layer mask now the way you do this withany layer selected is you go down here these icons are and we' re going to goin-depth into all of these but for now we' re just going to click on this oneand this is what creates a layer mask for whatever layer you have selected soif I click on that it' s going to do this to usnow why did it cut a hole in our lamp well that is because whenever we have aselection it' s going to apply it to that layer mask so it' s going to pretty muchcut a hole based on what you have selected so the way that it' s cutting ahole isn' t just by cutting it now you can see that for this layer in my layerpanel we have two thumbnails kind of next to each other so we have these tothis new element that we added by creating a layer mask and this is ourlayer mask so essentially what a layer mask is and how it works it pretty muchtells where your image is transparent or not and the way it tells that to thisimage is with black and white values so black is transparent and white is fullyopaque so I know that sounds a little convoluted but let me show you what Imean so if I have this layer mask selected and I have my brush selectedyou can see that my brush is now black or white and if it isn' t you can alwaysclick on these colors and you can you know just make sure that it' s black or Yor whatever color you want this is applies to all the brushes and now if Igo over this and I start painting in you can see that I can paint transparency inbut I' m not erasing anything I' m just painting the layer mask black so that' sreally cool I use layer masks all the time because it' s very non-destructiveand what I mean by that is like I don' t want to just permanently delete thingsand then not be able to go back to that step instead of I' m compositing thingsin and let' s say I just went too far here I can invert the colors by hittingX by the way another shortcut if you hit X on your keyboard that will invertthese two colors here so you have like a primary and a secondary color you cantoggle back and forth kind of like your primary gun or secondary gun in the gameand you always have them here you can toggle between the two of them with X sothat' s good time-saver but ok so now that we' re on Y if I go back and I startpainting things over my image or my layer mask I should say now you can seethat we' re introducing the lamp back in so white adds and black deletes keepthat in mind and of course you can always invert these colors and invertingjust a quick shortcut is command I or control I so if we have our layer maskselected and then hit that so I am during the colors now you can see that Iam I' ve essentially inverted the selection and that is because we' veinverted this from a white background to a black spot that was deleting things toa black background and a white spot that is keeping things in hopefully that allmade sense and hopefully I didn' t lose you but essentially that' s that' s howlayer masks work it' s really simple it' s just two ways of doing it black or whiteand of course you can use grey and get fancy and that will show some of itthrough but not entirely depending on how dark the gray is but another way ofachieving grey in a way is to lower the opacity of your brush so see how thischanges for every tool now that we have our brush selected you can see that wehave a few different additional properties for our brush so I can lowermy opacity here and if I set it to like 39 or whatever you can see that I' madding a lot less information back into our image now if I click on it againit' s adding another 39 percent of it and if I click on it again it' s pretty muchintroducing the full opacity of the layer we' re going to say opacity butthat makes no sense let' s keep going down this list we have other ways ofselecting things we have the polygonal lasso lasso tool these are really hardwords but essentially you click on a point takes you and then you you don' thave to keep clicking you can just go somewhere else click on the point clickon another point you get the idea it' s now making a different kind of shape andthen you can go near where you started like really close to where you startedand I don' t know if you can see it because the image is really dark butthere is a o or a zero or a loop that is close or a full circle that appearsaround the icon of my cursor and that is telling you that you can now close thatselection so once you click that it makes a selection for you and same dealas these other guys so we know what to do from here all right let' s take a lookat magnetic lasso tool now this will stick on things based on contrastessentially that' s how this tool works so it' s an easy way to quickly let' s saygoing in here and I want to just select this part I' m really doing a bad job atand so is Photoshop but you can see that Ikind of tried to follow along the lines here and it kind of lost it a little bithere but what it' s doing is it' s creating a really quick in easyselection based on things that are around it so you can see how it' s kindof snapping to lines and things that have a lot of contrast sometimes it' smagic sometimes it doesn' t understand what it' s doing but that tool is therefor you and that' s another way you can make selections so that is it for thislist now we have other ways of selecting things and this is the magic wand tooland the shortcut for that is w what this does it selects similar colors in yourimage and it makes a selection based on that so I could use that for some ofthis wood here this isn' t the ideal image where you would be doing thisbecause there' s a lot of different colors here this is a nice way if youhave like a solid wall that you want to select or something that has similarcolor this is a great tool to do that in a quick and easy way and here you haveother selections as well quick selection tools so you have a lot of ways ofselecting things we get it so let' s move on we have the crop tool which wealready talked about we have the eyedropper tool which essentially youcan just use it to take a color and now we have selected that color from theimage then over here you have a few things that are used for morephotography than anything else so we won' t really touch upon those but theSpot Healing Brush tool and the Healing Brush tool are really simple to use andthey can take away pimples and like little small skin imperfections so it' sreally used a lot by photographers and there' s a few other things here that arereally simple to use and I could really help some pictures or some people outall right so we have some brushes and we already talked about that then we havethe clone stamp tool now this is a huge one in Photoshop so first of all beforeyou jump into the clone stamp tool which I now have selected I' m going to get ridof this selection and the way you do this nice and quickly in Photoshop is byhitting command D or control D on your keyboard and that will get rid of anykind of selection that you' ve made so now we have the clone stamp tool andthis kind of looks like a brush and that is because it behaves like a brush forthe most part now one thing that I skipped with brushes and then I' ll getinto here because it' ll be pretty much the same thing is the size of the brushthe way you change this is by right-clicking wherever in yourin your canvas and when you right-click it' ll bring up these options so this isthe same as with your regular brush so you' re going to have the same window uphere if you right-click here you can change the size now you can see that ifI move it back onto the image you can see the size of it now I can change itagain you can see that it' s much smaller or make it bigger so that' s how you dothat and then over here you see the hardness and hardness is almost likefeathering and after effects okay I need to stop doing After Effects referencesbut it kind of softened things out i soften the edges so if i have a let' slet' s get a brush real quick so I can show you this so if I have a soft brushand let' s bring our path City all the way up so you can see what I' m talkingabout so if I click here we have a very soft spot now if I right click and Ibring these options again and I increase the hardness now if I click back outhere it does a pretty solid circle so that is what this thing is doing it' spretty much how much is a blurring out or feathering out the edges of yourbrush and then of course you can select other brushes here you can importmultiple brushes you can go crazy with brushes but there' s a lot of differentoptions and different ways that you can you know maybe brush some things in sothat is really cool I love brushes and they can do wonders when you' recompositing things together and now they' re great but that' s not what we' retalking about let' s go back to the clone stamp tool so let' s turn this off fornow and let' s just turn on the layer that we copied for no reason other thanjust to show that we can change different layers depending on which onesyou have selected so in here we' re gonna explore the clone stamp tool so whatthis does is essentially it looks like a brush because it behaves like a brush itpaints things in but it' s painting things not based on color but based onwhat area you have selected here so to select an area to kind of paint in orcopy I can hit all on my keyboard and you can see that my cursor now changedto this kind of target cursor and that is because now I can select a certainarea or a certain part of my image and once I do that I can paint that areaanywhere I want so you can see that now the brush actually shows the area thatyou' ve selected so if I were to click on here you can see that I' m painting thethe image back in is really really useful you can use itto paint people out of pictures if you' ve seen this and other tutorials onYouTube for Photoshop it' s a really popular one and that is what this tooldoes so it' s really useful you can use it for a lot of things I use this allthe time in matte paintings so it' s definitely good to know and I meanphotography - there' s a lot of uses for the clone stamp tool next we have thehistory brush tool which kind of brings undo stings undoes things based on whatyou have selecting when you' re painting but I really don' t use this very oftenthen you have the eraser tool which erases things and this behaves just likea brush so you can again right click and you can change the size and the hardnessand you can just erase whatever you want your image I don' t usually do this toooften just because I use layer masks whenever I want to delete or you knowchange things that way because it' s like I said before it' s non-destructiveversus this way you need to undo things rather than being able to just paintthings back in so that' s why I rarely use the erase tool but you know it' squick and easy it' s there if you need it next we have the paint bucket toolwherever you click it paints that entire layer or the empty part of that layer ofa solid color and you can change whatever color you want here and you cando that so it fills things in based on similar colors so if it' s a fullytransparent area it' ll fill that area or it' ll kind of act like the the magicwand tool that we that we looked at earlier and it also has a gradient toolwhich is really useful you can kind of create these quick and easy gradientswith this and this can be really useful even in layer masks and you can toggleback and forth to these like we did before and all the other ones then wehave a let' s go back to an image here let me turn this off bring our lamp backin then we have some other tools that I don' t really use much but this is a blurtool and right now I have my other layer selected so I need to make sure that I' mselecting the lamp that I want to change now this blur tool let me just zoom into really show you what it does it surprise surprise blurs things out whatyeah so right now I have the strength sets of really low so this is how strongit will blur things out or how much it' ll blow them out so I' m going toincrease this all the way to a hundred percent and now you can see that I' mreally really blurring things out so over here you canclick on this and you can also sharpen things up so this behaves just like abrush like we' ve seen with all these other options so just like how I wasblurring things I can sharpen things back up so you can see that on it' sobviously not going to make them go back to normal and it will start to createsome distortion if you sharpen things a little bit too much you know that noiseis really going to stand out and now you have let' s see what else is in here asmudge tool this kind of is like the liquify tool so you can smudge thingsaround could come in handy these are nice and easy and quick to use ifanything so I like that they' re here then you have a Dodge tool and let' sbring the size of this down well the Dodge tool will just brighten things uplet me just pull this up so you can see that it' s just brightening whatever areaI want so you can do some cool light effects with this and if you' recompositing things together this could be definitely a cool way to add a littlebit of integration in into your scene like so like if I were to drop this deskon a table and there' s a window that' s emitting light from this way then I canyou know it' s a nice little detail that you can add with this tool over heresame thing you can burn things you can darken things it' s called the burn toolso you can create some shadows you can darken parts of an image you can dowhatever you want and if I' m going over the same area while I' m still clickingit that' s just something that is true with all brushes it' s it' s going topretty much keep the same intensity but now if I let go and I click again it' llmake that same area darker so that' s why I keep that in mind when you' re usingthese tools the more that you click the the more you will affect that area soright now especially we have our exposure set to 50% so we can even go100% and again this is kind of like the strength of how much is dark hang thingsbut you can see that if I go over that same spot it' ll darken things a lot moreso the more you pass over certain spots after letting go of your click the moreit' ll you know it' ll show up with whatever you' re doing if you' redarkening things or if you' re using a brush with like a lower opacity samekind of deal so like you can see that it' s go over again I' m adding anotherlayer of opacity and so on so that' s a kind of an overview on these tools thenyou have the pen tool which is another selection tool and this is similar toAfter Effects and know this is not just a referencethis is literally like they have the pen tool and after-effects and I' ve used ita lot I actually used After Effects before jumping into Photoshop so forselections I' ll use this a lot of times so you can click then click again andyou can also hold and click so you can make some curves out of these lines oryou can make just some some straight lines just by clicking you know so youcan click and drag again you have these knobs that you can move around and youcan make some interesting shapes and you can cut around certain things that wouldbe otherwise difficult with these more freehand tools so you can go back to theinitial point and you' ll see that same circle appear and once you click on thatit hasn' t made a selection yet it' s closed it' s a sort of path of this ofthis pencil to make a selection you have to go up here where it says makeselection and once you click on that it' ll tell you how much you want tofeather the selection that you' re going to make and feathering again it' s likeblurring out the edges so I put it for point 6 pixels it' s barely noticeablebut it still blends things in a little bit so it works for most selections thatI make but if you want things to be really blurry you can go up to 2 pixels3 pixels and up from there really experiments see what that doesso 0.6 we' ll hit OK and now we have a selection so this acts like any otherselection tool that we' ve looked at before so from this point on it shouldbe all the same I' m going to delete that selection by hitting command D or ctrl Dthat gets rid of that next we have the title tool now once I click on here youcan see that it creates its own layer and this will be our title layer so Ican say hello and you know I can select my move tool and I can move this helloaround and we can see that it' s its own layer so I can again I can select thislamp so we can move this lamp around that we' ve kind of damaged and we canmove the title around we can also place the text below the lamp and now we cansee that the hello goes underneath the lamp the way that this works is becausethis is a low mode that my computer is about to die hold on next we have thepath selection tool but we' re not going to be using that for much so we' re goingto skip that for now and then we can create some basic shapes so we cancreate a square and now that created a new layer called rectangle for us and Ican always notice that up here our options are changing so we can changethe color the fill of this of this rectangle or wecan give it a little bit of a border like a nice little stroke and we can sayhow thick we want the outline to be and then from there we can create differentshapes so we have a few presets over here rounded rectangle tool and Eclipsethe polygon tool a line tool and you can create a custom shape tool so right nowthere is an arrow selected and you can change the shape of this right over hereand the cool thing is you can import your own images here so you can createsome custom shapes and you know just drag and drop them like this so then wehave the plan around tool and this is kind of what I use to navigate wheneverI' m zoomed in now if I hit V on my keyboard and go back to the selectiontool if I want to just pan around since I' m maybe moving some things around andI don' t wanna just go back and forth you just hit spacebar and that will changethis icon to the hand so now you know you' re kind of panning around and whileyou have the spacebar press down you can kind of navigate the same way so thenice thing is that once you release that you' re back to the selection tool andyou can go and do whatever it is that you were doing so that' s nice and easythere' s a lot of really useful shortcuts and I' ve mentioned a few alreadythroughout this video but i definitely recommend learning them as you gobecause they definitely speed up your workflow quite a bit now there' s a fewthings worth mentioning on this side over hereyou can see that we can we have a bunch of layers now because we made all ofthese custom layers but I am tired of looking at this lamp so I' m just goingto import something a little bit more exciting so we can play around and takea look at layers and how they work just pop up finder over here so I' m gonnaselect an image and I' m going to drag and drop it not on here but I' m going todrop it over here right next to our project in this area over here and thisis going to create a new project with the same dimension as that image andwe' re seeing that image so we can always go back and forth between differentprojects or we can close projects if we' re done with them we can save themnot save them I' m not going to save this but yeah if your Photoshop or if yourcomputer starting to run a little bit slow and you have too many projects openyou might want to close a few down and the same goes with any apps or anythinglike that so we have our image import here and this will help us kind of seewhat these adjustments are going to do a little bit more clearly than just a lampthis is my friend by the way Maria Garcia she' s a really talented model soyou should check out her Instagram it' s really really good so let' s startthrowing in some adjustments and see what we can do so I' m going to startwith some of these on the bottom here so wedon' t with this icon does this is the layer mask so just just a littlereminder we won' t be needing that for now instead we' re going to go right nextto that and we' re going to click on this half white half black circle and overhere we have a bunch of different options and these are things that youcan you can add you can add solid colors gradients and you can add a fewdifferent adjustments and effects as well so let' s start with a solid colorso you click on that it fills the entire canvas of a certain color you can pickwhatever color you want and you can click OK right now I just randomly picka color but let' s say we wanted to give it a give our image a nice vintage tingewell with a solid color like this if I were to set this to overlay and by theway I didn' t mention this but in your layer panel here with all of theselayers you have blending modes go away you have blending modes and this is away to blend the layers with each other so right now it' s on normal but if I goon screen you can see that it' s kind of blending itself with the image below itand I' m not sure how to really describe each and every one of these but you cankind of see what they do and the main ones that I use our overlay screen oradd that definitely makes the whole thing a little bit brighter so they justblend together in different ways depending on which blending option youpick so I' m going to go with overlay for now and right now it' s obviously way toomuch it' s completely destroying the image but if I go on the opacity for thelayer so again we have the blending options and we have the opacity for eachlayer that we can select so if I select the color I can lower the opacity of itand we can make that change much less drastic so if we go to like maybe like Idon' t know 12 10 yeah and if we switch back and forth it' s not a hugedifference but you can see that we' re blending in the colors a lot moretogether and we' re giving it just a more of a unique and uniform feel so I meanthis is getting kind of specific and you can definitely play around with this inmany other ways so let' s let' s move on the list you cancreate gradients and that' s really good and maybe if you have a landscape youcan create some nice gradient effects for the sky and things like that but I' mjust going to move through these really we because it' s just fun to experimentwith on your own so brightness and contrast these are adjustments and theyget created as their own sort of layer and this will affect anything that isbelow it so right now if I increase the brightness over here you can see thatit' s affecting everything if I increase the contrast or if I decrease it you cansee what' s happening there so pretty straightforward and again I want you tonotice that with all of these layers that we' re adding you have a layer maskso if we were to let' s say go back to the effect if we were to brighten thisup a lot but we don' t want to see maybe the stuff in the closet here I canselect the layer mask of that adjustment layer and then with my brush selectedwith black you can see that I can I can darken that up because I' m actuallysubtracting this area from this adjustment by using the layer mask sothat' s that' s where layer masks come in really really handy and I really loveusing them so there we go we can just do that little quick adjustment this lookspretty bad so we' re going to just select it and delete it and we' re going to addsomething else so levels and curves an exposure theseare all just different types of adjustments of two different thingswith levels you have more control over your shadows and your mids and you cankind of control it that way curves let' s just add these in real quickcurves with RGB selected you can do something similar so you can control themid-tones and the shadows in terms of luminance but then you can also go wejust make this a little bit bigger then you can also go in the individualadjustments of of each color so the red has its own curve and you can playaround with the red curve like so you can go on the green you can we take outa little bit of green and make it more violet ish or purplish I don' t know youcan have fun with this but that' s essentially curved so you can make somecolor adjustments really quickly in a nice visual way I really like curves andI use this all the time so moving on we have exposure that changes your exposure that changes the the exposure of your scene so pretty pretty self-explanatorythen we have vibrance hue and saturation we we just have a lot of options thatyou can go through you can click them you' re adding them the same way you canincrease saturation decrease the saturation something cool about thisadjusts that you can go under the individualcolors just like in curves you can control the hue of just the Reds or thesaturation of just the Reds so definitely really cool there' s a lotthere to explore definitely go through the rest of this list everything elseworks pretty much the same way you can add them and and just experience withthe sliders so very very simple stuff there now I' m going to bring in justanother random image these are all images from Instagram by the way so ifyou want to follow me on Instagram definitely do so at crisco art I try topost there as much as I can and I' m posting stories daily so if you want tosee what I' m up to definitely do that and I' ll be in Italy for this timearound depending on when you' re watching this video and I' m just going to makesome room here and by the way you can notice how all of these workspaces youcan just resize them so we have this image and we' re going to drag it andplace it right above our other image so we can see that we' re getting all ofthose same adjustments now onto both images so you can see that just fromthat movement alone you can see that there is sort of a layer hierarchy sothe the more they' re up towards the top the the more it' s going to ignorewhatever else is below it so if I move this just below the curves now it' s onlygoing to be affected by the curves and this image is also being affected by mycurves because it' s underneath to move it againwait move it again there we go and it' s being affected by the levels adjustmentand now if I move below the solid now it' s also getting that overall brownishreddish tinge so that' s kind of the hierarchy of layers and layer panel andhow they work definitely keep that in mind and it can get tricky when you havea lot of layers but let' s say you want to apply these effects only to thisimage and maybe you don' t want to move this image above them because then it' llit' ll block everything else out so how do I apply these effects only to let' ssay just this image alone so I' m going to show you a little trick if you holdalt on your on your keyboard and you hover right in between the layers youcan see that the handle kind of changes slightly whenever you' re in between eachlayer so let' s let' s try to do it with this color so I' m going to I' m going toclick right there so when you do that you' re telling Photoshop that you wantto contain this layer in this image so I' ll show you exactly what I mean I' lldo it for these ones as well so you can kind of see what that is doing so you' ve assigned essentially these to adjustments and this color only to thisimage so now it' s kind of bypassing the hierarchy and it' s containing all ofthese elements all these layers within this element and you do that by holding alt and you go in between the layers so you can undo it by doing the same thingsfor your you see how the cursor is slightly different has like a line through it if I go up here that will just undo  that sort of selection a fewthings that we didn' t really go over are are the filter galleries here  and a fewother things but really it' s just it' s very simple and it works kind of thesame way except that it doesn' t create a layer so if we want to apply these filters we want to select an image and then we can go filter maybe we can like add an unsharp mask and we can sharpen this image and if I click OK that filteris being applied to that layer so we' re not going to create another adjustmentlayer it' s just going to be applied to that layer but for right now I wouldn' tworry about it too much just know that there' s filters here that you can applydirectly to layers and you can definitely you know go through each little section category and experiment with them all right guys I hope youenjoyed the start in Photoshop hopefully they didn' t bore you too much I knowthere' s a lot of tedious stuff that we needed to cover but hopefully youenjoyed it hopefully you learned something from it and if this is yourfirst time on this channel I don' t usually make Photoshop videos I do morefilmmaking and visual effects but if you guys want to see more photoshopdefinitely let me know because I really love it I' m but using it a lot latelyeven for VFX so let me know what you want to see next if you want to see moreof this definitely let me know in the comment section below anyways guys thankyou so much for watching my name is kris trini for kris carr and i will see younext time

No comments:

Post a Comment